You’ve heard of Spring Cleaning but have you heard of Fall Cleaning? Spring isn’t the only time of the year for a thorough home cleaning session. Autumn is perfect for storing away all the accumulated summer-specific items–like outdoor sports gear, toys, and clothing–and bringing out the cold-weather essentials–snow shovels, heavy coats, and driving gloves. Putting in the work now will make for a much more organized and pleasant end of the year, especially during the holidays when home organization may be the last thing on your mind!
We’ve put together a list of essential cleaning tips for both indoors and outdoors to help you prepare for the cooler days ahead:
- Clean and store outdoor items you no longer use during Fall and Witner – patio furniture, umbrellas, children’s summer toys, etc.
- Check caulk around windows and doors. We wouldn’t want to lose heat from those pesky gaps!
- Inspect external doors and garage doors. Do they close tightly? Install weather-stripping, door thresholds if needed.
- Wash exterior windows now while the weather is pleasant to avoid a shiver-filled cleaning session later.
- If you have a chimney have them inspected and cleaned if necessary.
Indoors, the general idea is similar to our Spring Cleaning tips with a few additions:
- Prepare the kitchen for holiday cooking and get-togethers by organizing and cleaning kitchen cabinets, baking supplies, pans, and equipment. You may also want to do a spice and seasoning inventory to determine what needs to be restocked.
- We prefer heavier fabrics on our bed like cotton flannel and wool. This is a great time to start the bedding transition by slowly incorporating these types of sheet into your bedding. Launder your summer bedding and prepare it for storage.
- During Fall and Winter, our homes are a lot more sealed off to the elements than usual. Ensure that your primary heat sources are clean and replace the filters of any air purifiers or humidifiers so that the air inside stays as clean as possible.
- In addition to bringing more cool-weather clothes into your closet, now is the perfect time to evaluate your entire wardrobe and determine what pieces can go. What items shouldn’t be reintroduced next spring? Are there any overworn or out of date items that can be donated?
- In terms of decor, we love the use of warm colors like deep reds, browns, and orange during this time of the year. If you like to decorate seasonally, this is the perfect time to introduce those elements!
Have any more cleaning tips for this season? Let us know in the comments below!
Reader Rating: 158 Votes